Monday, January 14, 2013

Keep it Simple

Mango pico de gallo on top of sesame seed veggie crackers;
Avocado with Himalayan sea salt and agave nectar
One thing that I feel people worry about with a raw food diet is the prospect of time involved in food preparation. While this is a valid concern and much of what can be prepared is time-consuming, I just wanted to point out that there are many ways in which raw foods can be easier than any other kind! I've been feeling a bit under the weather the last few days and have hardly felt like preparing food and I have found plenty of ways around it. Bite into an apple; peel a banana; simple, simple simple!

You want something with a little more pizzazz, you say?  I just made a fresh and delicious dinner of mango pico de gallo on top of veggie crackers, and one of my favorites, fresh avocado with sea salt and agave. The pico was pre-made, but raw and fresh from my local grocer and the crackers are raw and organic, bought from my local health food store. Expensive? Not really. The 1/2 avocado was about $0.75 and the crackers, while fairly pricey at perhaps $5 per container, are so heavy and nutrient-dense from all the seeds in them you only need a little to be satisfied. The pico was about $3 for 12 ounces and I barely made a dent. All together, maybe $2 for the meal. Note: I had already started eating when I remembered to take the picture, so it was a bit larger of a meal than is pictured.

What I mentioned above about the crackers being nutrient-dense and heavy reminded me of something I wanted to point out. Another common misconception is that the only raw foods there are to eat are veggie sticks and salads. How could you get full off of that? Well, it's hard, unless you transition to that. In the meantime, eat more and eat dense to satisfy any cravings you might have for rich and creamy foods or junk foods. Use things that are high in fat like avocado, nuts and seeds to help fill you up. As long as your diet is clean, this will not make you gain weight. These are healthy fats. They're good for you!

Other things I've done while not feeling well: eating out at a salad bar; eating plain fresh produce, as mentioned above; munching on kale chips and other healthy raw snacks; and juicing grapefruit.

Between having a very successful trip to Dallas for 5 days and being able to eat raw easily and joyfully while fighting a cold, I'm feeling more and more confident that this lifestyle does not have to be difficult! Like most things, it just requires some adjustment, which I'm enjoying experiencing.

Be well & much love!
Devan

No comments:

Post a Comment