Thursday, December 27, 2012

The Infamous Green Drink

One of the more interesting adventures in my journey so far has been juicing. Unlike all the smoothie concoctions I've made over the years, I find that with juicing I become MUCH more adventurous, with delicious or disastrous results. The fruit juices are pretty safe, but you have to be careful with the green drinks as you're getting used to them. Spinach tends to be mild and grassy and safe, but when you start using stronger greens the flavors get quite interesting. A rough guess in order of most to to least palatable to someone on a Standard American Diet (SAD), some common greens would be romaine, spinach, kale, fennel, broccoli, dandelion, and mustard. Tastes vary from person to person, of course. The drink in the above picture contains something along the lines of mustard greens, which are quite spicy, dandelion greens, which have a somewhat strong and bitter flavor, either mung bean or broccoli sprouts, cucumber, celery, spinach, and fennel, which tastes like licorice. It was quite a surprise, to say the least. Some of my favorite juices include various combinations of apple, carrot, ginger, spinach, kale, romaine and celery. I also quite love a good wheat grass shot, however that's rather expensive to do at home; unless you grow your own wheat grass, I'd imagine.

Can't wait to keep playing with the juices. Let me know if you have any faves!


Much Love
Devan

No comments:

Post a Comment